Striving for our salvation is exhausting. Striving from our salvation is exhilarating. Laboring for our salvation is futile. Laboring from our salvation is abundantly fruitful.
The difference is astronomical.
The Christian life is a walk of strenuous and focused labor, but that effort is an overflow of what we already have attained in Christ.
Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
Because I am born again as a child of God, I can love others authentically.
Because I am washed by the blood of Christ, I can live a holy life.
Because I am sealed with the Spirit, I can live a life of discipline and power.
This is the gospel pattern of the Christian life – living up to what we have already attained.
In Christ I can strive with ever-renewing energy because I am already . . .
- Saved (Titus 3:5)
- Loved (Romans 5:8)
- Chosen (Colossians 3:12)
- Adopted (Ephesians 1:5)
- Liberated (Galatians 5:1)
- Accepted (Romans 15:7)
- Included (Ephesians 1:13)
- Secure (John 10:28)
- Justified (Romans 5:1)
- A child of God (1 John 3:1)
- A friend of Christ (John 15:15)
- Forgiven (Hebrews 10:18)
- A new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- Clean (Hebrews 10:22)
- Holy (Hebrews 10:10)
- Blameless (Ephesians 1:4)
- Free from condemnation (Romans 8:1)
- A temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19)
- More than a conqueror (Romans 8:37)
- Seated with Christ in heaven (Ephesians 2:6)
- Blessed with every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3)
- Fully alive (John 10:10)
- Complete (Colossians 2:10)
Tom Brown is the planting pastor of Vintage Faith Church in Wichita. Tom and his wife, Mandy, have worked together in ministry for 18 years and have four children. More about Pastor Tom Brown