Sermon by Joe Kester · Jul 14, 2019 · Abide Series
In John 15:7, Jesus makes a bold claim:
“If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”
It has been my experience that, most often, Christians stop praying because we don’t believe our prayers are effective.
What is effective prayer?
From this verse, we see that effective begins with rightly-ordered desires, continues with Spirit-empowered asking, and confidently persists until it is done by the Father.
If you want to put this verse into practice, join me in praying these prayers that we know God loves:
- Cleanse me from my sin. (1 John 1.19)
- Give me wisdom. (1 Kings 3.10)
- Give me your Spirit. (Luke 11.13)
- Build your church. (Romans 15.5-6)
- Be glorified. (John 12.28)
- Not my will, but yours be done. (Mark 14.36)
- Father! (Romans 8.15)