“Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct.”
1 Peter 3:1
1. The Bible teaches gender equality and role ___________ in marriage.
2. God instructs the wife to submit to her ___________.
“Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— 4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. ”
1 Peter 3:3
3. Don’t neglect to grow your ___________ beauty and character.
“For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.”
1 Peter 3:5
4. It takes courage and faith to follow a ___________.
“Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.”
1 Peter 3:7
5. God instructs the husband to ___________ his wife.
6. Husbands are commanded to value what their wife ___________.
7. Don’t get your prayers ___________ by God.
Verses related to the Christian and their Marriage: 1 Cor. 7:1-40,
Eph. 5:21-33, Col. 3:18-19, 1 Tim. 3:4-5, & Titus 2:3-5
Resources for Further Study:
Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood by Piper & Grudem
Men and Women – Equal yet Different by Alexander Strauch
Let me be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney
1. What are some biblical principles for having a successful marriage?
2. Married women, what is an area in your marriage where you aren’t placing yourself under your husband’s leadership?
3. Women, what practical things can you do this week to shift your focus from pursuing outer beauty to seeking to adorn yourself with the inner beauty that is precious in God’s sight?
4. What “frightening” things do you fear that cause you to not submit to your husband? What do you need to believe or do practically to “fear not” in your marriage?
5. Men, what do you think it specifically means for husbands to live with their wives in “an understanding way?”
6. Married men, what is something your wife cares about that you need to care more about in order to love her more?