In the story of God’s covenant with Abraham and Sarah – in the 25 years of waiting between promise and fulfilment, there are priceless lessons for those who wait for the Lord.
1. God is a covenant making, relational person who reveals himself in time and space to human beings.
2. God chooses unlikely people who will highlight his grace and impossible circumstances that will highlight his power.
3. God is a mighty, wonder working presence who calls into being things that were not and can change everything in a moment.
4. God is a wise planner who operates on eternal timelines that require persistent faith from those he calls.
5. God always fulfills his promises for the good of his people – in his time and in his way.
6. When God’s people attempt to help things along through human wisdom and effort rather than faith, their plans often produce bitter results.
7. Those who wait on the Lord will eventually find their hearts filled with wonder and their mouths with laughter.
Wait for the Lord, friend. Be strong! Take heart! Wait for the Lord.
Tom Brown is the planting pastor of Vintage Faith Church in Wichita. Tom and his wife, Mandy, have worked together in ministry for 18 years and have four children. More about Pastor Tom Brown